In 2011, we revised policy by adding additional patient safety reporting requirements and also required centers to have a 24/7 patient safety contact to handle reports. We’ve seen a significant increase in reporting since then, although the increased reporting has not necessarily led to gains in disease prevention.
- Reports are not always reviewed.
- Reporting practices vary by region and Donation Service Area (DSA).
- Staff time and energy required for current reporting and follow-up tasks may not be the best use of limited resources.
- Reports from transplant patient safety contacts indicate that time and energy are being spent on non-relevant reports, which hinders their focus on reporting and following relevant results.
Addressing these issues, we approved policy changes at the June board meeting that took effect September 1, 2016. Read the policy notice that summarizes the policy changes and specifies conditions that you must report and how you should report them. The changes aim to reduce over-reporting so that you can focus on relevant and critical results. There is also a new requirement for OPOs to develop a reporting protocol and to
Webinar recording available
- Transplant hospitals
- Living donor recovery centers
A recording of an August 8th webinar is available on UNOS Connect, our learning management system. If you are a registered UNet user, access UNOS Connect with your UNet username and password. Non-UNet users will have complete a brief online form to register the first time they visit.
Once you have logged on to UNOS Connect, click on the course catalog tab and then select the Patient Safety icon. From there you will be able to find the Improving Post-Transplant Communication of New Donor Information webinar.
You will want to reference this list of pathogens of special interest (updates effective December 1, 2016) while you are watching the webinar.
Continuing Education Information
You will receive CEPTCs after viewing the webinar and completing an evaluation and assessment.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.