The OPTN/UNOS Executive Committee has charged the OPTN/UNOS Liver and Intestinal Organ Transplantation Committee to develop an alternative liver distribution policy to replace current donor service area (DSA) and regional boundaries used in the current system. The proposal will be circulated for input in a special public comment period. After public comment and additional committee deliberation, the final proposal is expected to come for a vote at the December 2018 meeting of the OPTN/UNOS Board of Directors.
- Read a letter from HRSA to UNOS reflecting the “critical comment” on use of DSAs and regions in liver policy (June 8, 2018)
- Read UNOS’ response to HRSA (June 25, 2018)
- Read a memo from OPTN/UNOS Board President Yolanda Becker, M.D. to the transplant community, which references our response to HRSA and the Executive Committee’s charge to the Liver Committee to work on an alternative liver distribution policy replacing DSA and regional boundaries (June 27, 2018)
- Read a July 31 memo from HRSA Administrator George Sigounas, M.S., Ph.D., to UNOS regarding further development of organ distribution policies.
- Read an August 13 reply from UNOS to HRSA’s memo of July 31