Keeping patients safe
Find alerts, policies and guidance to keep transplant patients safe and reduce the risk for disease transmission here:
Patient safety resources
PDDTE policy changes – effective 9/1/2016
- Policy notice
- Pathogens of special interest (updated 12/2018)
- FDA-cleared assays, used to determine toxoplasmosis immune status or diagnosis
- Zika virus information for organ donation and transplant professionals (7/2016)
- Frequently asked questions about the 2013 PHS guideline
- West Nile Virus risk factors and evaluating potential living donors
- Recognizing central nervous system infections in potential deceased organ donors
- HTLV-1 screening and confirmation in potential donors and reporting potential HTLV-1 infection
- Recognizing seasonal and geographically endemic infections in organ donors; considerations during living donor evaluation
- ABO typing and subtyping training module available (UNetSM login required) (9/2016)
- ABO Town Hall recording (5/2016)
- ABO verification in the OR video (5/2016)
- ABO webinar recording: Compliance with upcoming changes (3/2016)
- ABO webinar recording (12/2015)
UNOS Connect is your resource for educational webinars for transplant professionals. Go to UNOS Connect and sign in to access all webinar recordings.
About UNOS Connect
- UNet Users: If you have access to UNOS Secure EnterpriseSM systems: UNet, WaitlistSM, DonorNet®, Tiedi®, KPDSM and other UNOS-developed transplant applications, your account is already set-up and there is no need for you to register. Access UNOS Connect with your UNet username and password. This will allow you full access to the site to view system training recordings, register for policy webinars and view materials.
- Other Users: The first time you visit UNOS Connect, you will need to complete a brief, online form to register for the site. After that, you will have access to a wide range of UNOS instructional offerings and materials, except system training.
- OPTN policy 5: organ offers, acceptance, and verification (6/2016)
- System changes related to ABO verification policy are now in place (6/2016)
- Frequently asked questions
- Policy change preparation checklist for transplant centers
- Policy change preparation checklist for OPOs
- OPO Pre-recovery Verification Template(added 6/28/2016)
- ABO Flow chart (revised 5/2016)
- ABO Subtyping Organ Donors for Blood Groups A and AB
- Living Donor OR Verification template (revised 5/2017)
- Recipient OR Verification template (revised 5/2017)
- FAQs related to upcoming policy changes
- ABO donor recipient compatibility chart (added 4/2016)
- Electronic Medical Record (EMR) suggested data fields (revised 5/2016)
- Update for OPOs about TransNet labels for extra vessels (12/4/2018)
- Updated vessel labels – 2 x 4 (8/1/2018)
- Updated vessel labels – 2 x 5 (8/1/2018)
- OPOs must use sterile internal labels for extra vessels beginning 9/1/2015 (Updated 2/1/2019)
- Policy 16: Organ and Vessel Packaging, Labeling, Shipping, and Storage
- Instructions for handling and repackaging vessels
You can find the following three effective communication videos on UNOS Connect. Just open the course catalog and select the Patient Safety category.
- Preventing hemodilution errors
- Preventing organ discard
- Proactively averting errors
Corrective action plans
Root cause analysis
Use this application to enter data on candidates, recipients and donors. If you can’t access the site, your hospital or OPO site administrator can help you.
Important patient safety notices
A manufacturer of retail drugs has issued a voluntary recall of a product used in recovery and preparation of donor lungs.
ICU Medical Inc. has issued a voluntary recall for four specified lots of intravenous sodium chloride solutions and one specified lot of intravenous dextrose solution due to the potential for flexible container leaks.
You now have self-serve access through the Secure Enterprise homepage to update your institution’s patient safety contact information. Please take a moment to review your contact listing and update any out-of-date information.
New processes focus on efficiency, improvement
Our patient safety series includes topics related to extra vessels handling and storage, proactively averting errors, ABO verification in the OR, hemodilution errors and more.
Bridge to Life Ltd. and Waters Medical Systems have issued a field correction for specified lots of Belzer UW Cold Storage Solution and IGL Cold Storage Solution in 2-liter bags.
Find multiple resources to help you apply the 2013 PHS Guideline recommendations and any OPTN safety-related policy to your current practices.
Transplant professionals need to review the recently updated Notes section of the Pathogens of Special Interest document. If one of your recipients tests positive for HCV after their transplant, and they received an organ from an HCV Ab positive/NAT negative donor,...
International Medsurg Connection (IMC), a wholesale medical supply distributor, has voluntarily recalled its sterile conventional syringes and needles in Cardinal Health private label packaging. Your organization might have received notice from Cardinal Health about this recall. Learn more.
OPO and transplant center staff may respond to this survey until July 31.